Offset Calving Losses

Offset Calving Losses

Apply for benefits from Livestock Indemnity Program.

Craig Schaunaman, state executive director of USDA's Farm Service Agency in South Dakota, reminds livestock producers who have experienced calving losses this spring that they can apply for benefits under the Livestock Indemnity Program.

"This program provides livestock producers with a vital safety net to help them overcome the damaging financial impact associated with natural disasters," Schaunaman says.

Livestock producers have until Jan. 30, 2012, to file a LIP application for payment in regard to 2011 livestock losses.

LIP provides assistance to producers for livestock deaths that result from natural disaster. LIP compensates livestock owners and contract growers for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather, including losses due to floods, blizzards, disease, wildfires, extreme heat and extreme cold. Eligible losses must have occurred on or after Jan. 1, 2008, and before Oct. 1, 2011.

"A notice of loss must be filed with FSA within 30 days of when the loss of livestock is apparent," Schaunaman says. "Livestock that die within 60 days of the date of the qualifying event, but prior to Oct. 1, 2011 will be considered eligible for loss benefits."

Producers will be required to provide verifiable documentation of death losses resulting from an eligible adverse weather event. It is also imperative that producers track loss of livestock due to normal mortality as well.

Livestock producers have until Jan. 30, 2012, to file a LIP application for payment in regard to 2011 livestock losses.

Producers are encouraged to contact their local FSA office to obtain additional information about LIP or any other programs administered by FSA. Information is also available on the web at

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Stop 9410, Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Source: SD Farm Service Agency

TAGS: Livestock
Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.